Saturday, March 22, 2008

MapMyIndia Navigator Re-Visited!

My earlier review of the Map My India Navigator was rather glowing. Well understandably as GPS in India is new and actually quite indispensable. Since then I have seen at least 2 other products advertised offering all India Navigation Products. Since I got to test the MMI Navigator on the run to Goa I must add that I have now developed mixed feelings for the device. Before I set off I upgraded the software to Ver 1.1 Also spoke to the support staff in New Delhi. They informed me that the roads for Goa we not yet included but all major roads and highways were present.

So I set off not knowing what to expect. One point to note is that all POI (Points of Interest) for Goa are present just the roads to them don't exist. So for instance I can set it to go to Baga Beach but when I click "Start Route" it says cannot access POI. Anyways it "saw" the NH4 and helped me through Kolhapur towards Ratnagiri and then somewhere there it got all lost. After that the help it provided was sporadic at best. The NH17 was sometimes there and sometimes not.

On the way back as well it only helped me once I was back on the NH4 after Uttur and before Nimpani.

To cut a long story short in my opinion the Software is not ready to leave the cities yet. Which is quite useless for a device that costs 20K. Currently they only cover 18 cities and 7 states, hope that updates are frequent and free for us early adopters as in its current form the Map My India Navigator leaves a lot to be desired when it actually comes to interstate travel. :-(

2 comments:

P... said...

Hey a quick one for the gadget freaks who have been exploring with their Beast (an like me got lost!!!)..
I have recently downloaded a software called "Locate Me" this uses GPRS & Cell towers to give you your approx location.. This software (as far as i know) runs on both Nokia as well as the Apple iPhone (im using the latter and works great)..

Shivalik said...

MapmyIndia has now launched for 174 cities on version 2.0, it is offered as a free upgrade to existing users. I believe the upgrade solves the issues you have mentioned. Goa rocks now.

cheers,
Shiv