Friday, November 30, 2007

Squeak Monsters - The Return!

About 70 kms after the first servicing the squeaks are back. Today while on a drive they got really loud and very irritating. So much so that my wife decided to help me investigate the source. She got into the back and on to the jump seats.

All this time I have been thinking that it is the middle seat causing the ruckus with the clicks and squeaks. Well today we found out that I was wrong all along. It is not the seats but the tail gate and/or the area around it that squeaks and clicks. Once my wife sat on the left hand side jump seat all these excruciating sounds disappeared. Even the jump seats are totally silent over bumps whether open or folded. The rear door on the other hand is emitting gut wrenching squeaks that make Guantanamo Bay a better place to be in.

I will probably have to send the truck back to the dealers to have it sorted. Since the sounds seem to be plastic panel related not much I can do to help the situation.

It is sad that TML has put a beautiful diesel engine that purrs into a beast that still rattles. Do any of your Safari's have a squeaking tail gate? Is this a design issue that will never go away or is this fixable? Are there any home remedies to fix this?

Do drop in a line if you can share your experiences with the squeaks and clicks of your own beast!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No squeaking issue with my beast. No trouble with the rear door.

bm-log said...

Hi djbobo,

You lucky devil. A squeak free Safari. Wow!!!

At least I know it exists and hopefully my beast can be made quite again.

Mind you the squeaks are not consistent. When I am alone in the truck there are no sounds. 2 adults and a kid later the cacophony begins.

Will see if I can find a solution myself as sending it on to the workshop is going to be very inconvenient too.

Probably the bit of off road I did earlier has unsettled everything.:-)

Thanks for the feedback!

Anonymous said...

Turby Bhai

Are you happy with the Service of Pandit Auto ? If yes whats the location you gave to for your first service.

Thanks

bm-log said...

Hi,

Considering that the truck was with Pandit Auto for 2 days and they did not fix everything I asked them too I would rate them 5 out of 10. Also the insides were not cleaned well and some grease marks remain near the hood.

Their workshop is at Sahkarnagar in the Shahu College Compound near Parvati Hill.

Unknown said...

hi my name is asim khan and have had all models of safaris till date. the vehicle needs slight extra attention than my scorpio as the fit and finish has always been a problem with tata motors..

regarding the tail gate i have fixed the problem and have had no squeak for 6000 km. firstly adjust the lock and guide clip in st alignment , then open the door hinges on which it is mounted move the door assembly up and down till u see it aligned in a straight line with reference to the panel and locking hinge. do this urself or tell a bodyshop person to do it for u.. also had to redo the doors linning of all doors properly.