Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The First List of Irritants!

Mostly I am very happy with Safari 2.2. But nothing in life is perfect and here is a list of what I find most irritating about the truck in the very first few days of ownership.

  • Position of Audio System.
This is the biggest gripe so far. The gear lever completely obstructs the face plate of the music system when in the 1st and 3rd gear. Very dangerous positioning too as the deck is at the very bottom of the center console you have to look away from the road to do anything with it while driving. Looking at this as a probable work around.
  • Ignition Key hole position.
The key goes in at a very weird angle. At first it was very difficult to get it right but over the days have gotten the hang of it plus the quality of keys does not help. They seem flimsy enough to break at any point while struggling to get them in.
  • Missing "Dead Pedal".
This is more of a personal thing as all my cars up till now have had dead pedals it just feels odd not having one. Nevertheless the driving position is just fine and this point will not be such an issue as time goes by.
  • The "Diwali Bar".
Yes, I know this is cryptic in nature but kindly bear with me for a minute. You know the Roof mounted A/C in my Safari whenever switched on makes occasional whistling/gurgling sounds. First time I heard them it sounded like crackers/rockets going off in the distance. Hence the name. These sounds come and go and are thankfully not constant. Hope they can be reduced or done away with in the 1st service.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed the rear AC noise in the TD vehicle. Was quite irritating. Just behind your head.

Anonymous said...

The RC10 remote is for Skyline and FunLine units and TravelPilot DX-R70. Can you tell me which model is in Safari ? Also did you find this remote with any Dealer so far ? I am really interested to buy this RC10, but not sure where to go for this.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

First of all, you are doing a great job. I have been reading this ever since I started looking at this vehicle and I get what I need. The first hand information from a user.

How do you rate the foot board? I noticed that while getting out of the vehicle from the second row, you hardly get to use the corner of the foot board where you can probably place your heel. Have you come across this as a problem?

bm-log said...

The Safari has got the Blaupunkt Las Vegas DVD35 unit, one big drawback I found out today was that it is region locked and does not play certain DVD's :-(

And yes the foot-board kinda almost finishes by the time you get to the second row. It takes a while to get used to and is more a design quirk than a flaw in my opinion.

One more point with regards to the foot board. You will use it. I initially thought it was more of an aesthetic thing but have now realized that it is indispensable. Even for a 6 footer like me.

Anonymous said...

The VX model gets a DVD instead of CD. I am planning to buy EX model hence the audio unit will be different. Hence not sure if the RC10 remote will work with the Unit that comes with EX model. Also any idea where to get the remote ?

bm-log said...

The Blaupunkt Dealer should be able to help you out. You can find one for your city here:http://www.blaupunkt.com/in/dealer_search.asp

Roopesh said...

Any idea which model Audio system is present in EX moldel ?