Saturday, June 7, 2008

Fuelorama!

Apart from the fact the fuel prices across the world are going through the roof, us Tata Safari 2.2 owners have the luxury of still choosing the "best" fuel for our beasts. My personal choice has been normal diesel with additives. I did use HP turbojet for about the first 2000 kms but found the engine to be quite noisy and unsettled with the same. As you probably know I have tried both System-D and STP. With System-D the following was reported:
  • Engine became smoother and even more silent.
  • Vibrations lessened.
  • Slight increase in pick up.
  • Overall better running in the city.
With STP this was the story:
  • The pick up really improved.
  • Engine smoothness increased.
  • Overall better results on the highway.
Have almost done ten thousand kilometers now and the engine is zippy like never before. I have resorted back to System-D for now as I feel the engine sounds a bit harsh with STP in the city. At the end of the day the difference between the two is only slight in the city in terms of performance. On the highway though STP is the clear winner. Anything after 120 kmph with STP seems/sounds less strenuous.

Please note I am not an automobile engineer and am just sharing with you all my layman experience with the different fuel/combo options I have tried.

Trip to Mumbai coming up this week.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for the update on fuel. I am sticking with then IOC Xtrapremium, as I was doing, - definitely getting the positives of both System D and STP.

ADC

PS: Show me some monsoon run journeys. Happy trucking

Unknown said...

Where would you get STP? Is it available at the fuel stations? I will get delivery of my Safari 2.2 in another 10 days. What are your recommendations for fuel and additives while the engine is being "run in"

bm-log said...

Hi Prosenjit,

Congrats on your impending Beastie. You can get STP at any up market Car Accessory Shop in your City. I buy mine at Poona Motors here in Pune.

Hope all goes well with your delivery and enjoy the monster!

Anonymous said...

Hi!! I had purchased Safari 2.2 VTT Dicor about 4 months back and have done 8000km.I have always used Turbojet with System-D from day one. However I still hear engine knocking especially with the AC on. Should I change fuel/fuel combination.

bm-log said...

Hello Paresh,

I have noticed that just plain old diesel seems to keep the engine running the quietest. I have since stopped using any additives.

Hope this helps.